Wednesday, September 03, 2008

Yunnan.

It began on a street corner outside the Kunming bus station at 10:30 Tuesday morning. It was overcast and refreshingly cooler than Beijing. My travel compadres, Bassman and Diane, and I were trying to find a restaurant, which in a Chinese city is like trying to find a homophobe at an NRA rally. As we surveyed the street corner for options, I saw a donkey pulling a man on a bicycle pulling a flatbed with recyclables piled on it. Then, a motorcycle sped around the corner, and in its sidecar was a goat. As I rubbernecked to make sure that wasn’t a Klonazapam hallucination, when I saw a Chinese man with the world’s greatest mustache, like the tail of a raccoon under his lip, watching over a child, pants around ankles, peeing in the middle of the sidewalk. After lunch, we hopped the bus to Dali. A four-hour nap later, we arrived and were greeted by a hyper-energetic, middle-aged, female cabby…

(To be continued)

1 Comments:

Blogger Unks said...

D-Man ... you are absolutely my hero, doing exactly what I wish I could be doing. I yearn for your postings, guffaw out loud at your humor, marvel at the experiences you have had. I so admire how you are taking full advantage of this incredible, once in a lifetime, journey. I still await, however, your expose on "sex at the Olympic," your affirmation that the research I sent you is accurate or not. Keep blogging, tucking, smiling, questioning, and commenting ... then head down to Nashville where a ticker-tape parade is awaiting you. ... Uns

10:36 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home