Tuesday, September 02, 2008

Move over Jay-Z, hello Jaiye Bynoe (by-no-eeeeee). I've been listening to Jaiye for years now, ever since GOD, disguised as a bike messenger, delivered his demo to Mickle Jickens' corner cubicle in New York. Jaiye's style is distinct from the rest of the candy rappers out there. He's not about "sonic quality." He cares not about "flow," or "musicianship." He's isn't all obsessed with "making sense." He's a vessel through which the the plights of homelessness and romance -- not mutually exclusive -- are depicted.

My favorite jam is Freaky Freaky. Never, in the history of R&B, has a "boom boom clap" beat been so sensually employed. Jaiye really brings it from the heart (as promised by the album title) on this track.
Only you can make me do the things that you want me to do. When you're far away, and I can't get, to you. Waiting impatiently for your return, I...really...miss you.
Here, Jaiye spits hot truth gravy all over the perils of separation anxiety. Plus, who among us hasn't waited impatiently for something or someone? I know right now I'm waiting impatiently for my PA, Zhu, to bring me a wintergreen julep to wash down this lobster omelette. And afterwards, I'll brush my teeth, from the heart, with a liberal application of Jaiye Bynoe's truth paste.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home